Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2012 13:26:39 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Hi, Laura!

Wanted to respond to both of your recent posts.

Tube at breast:   I use 5 french feeding tube usually, and agree it is a bit flimsy.  I have mom hold the tube about 1 - 1.5 inches from the end with her finger and thumb (like pinching it) and carefully push it into the corner of the mouth, being careful to stay on top of the tongue.  By having mom's fingers placed accordingly, she knows it's in far enough when her fingers reach the baby's lips.  If it's not in far enough, it won't work, so I help each mom figure out the right length for her.  Even when taped on, I think the tip rarely goes in with the latch (unless it's on the tongue side), so I try to teach mom to insert.  I have a couple larger tubes (I think 8 french?) that have firmer tubing.  The problem with these is two fold:  1) the flow is much faster, too fast for some babies (but just right for others) and 2) being more firm, I find they either poke the mom or poke the baby's palate, causing pain for somebody.  It can be done, but it has to be inserted so slowly to be sure it's not against any tissue.

Glasses:  I feel your pain!  Progressive lenses didn't work for me at all.  But I LOVE bifocals, and don't have a hard time walking in them.  I do see better doing oral assessments without glasses.  The problem with bifocals is I have to tip my head back at a weird angle to see through the bifocal part, so it's easier just to wear them down on my nose so I can peek over the top of them to see the baby, then through the upper part of the lense to see the mom.  I do keep a pair of glasses that are just for seeing up close, and those allow me to read or see the baby without tilting my head, but then I can't see the mom.  Ugh.  So for now, I just peek over the top for baby.  One day I want to have different glasses on pretty chains around my neck.  :)  But for now, I feel too young to do that, so I'll just make due.  If you find another solution, please share!

Warmly,
Amy Peterson

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2