Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2012 20:06:14 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I have found that some couplets don't do as well with the SNS as others do. Do to gravity the milk will flow out of the SNS and i have noticed that some babies will not use 'force' with thier suction when using the SNS instead they just allow it to fill their mouth and then swallow when thier mouth is full. The mother depends on this feeding at the breast for stimulation/milk removal instead of using a pump (which keeps force going). As a result mothers milk supply actually decreases more. 
I know mother is busy with a new baby and her other children and she feels like she doesn't have time to pump but it may be critical for her body to get this strong stimulation to actually produce more milk. 
Maybe she could allow infant to nurse for 5-7 minutes at one breast and then switch to the second breast for 5 minutes and then offer the SNS. When the baby is nursing from one breast with the SNS she could use the pump on the second breast at the same time. 

I also second the idea on looking into taking metformin
There was also a study here is a link with some other information as well http://gotpcos.wordpress.com/2010/07/03/metformin-for-low-milk-supply-in-pcos-mothers/

Jessica CAllahan
RN, IBCLC
NC, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2