Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2013 17:03:21 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Terri, the thing is, these people see substitute foods as NORMAL, and they don't have a concept of breastmilk as FOOD. Ir's free and they don't actually see it, and so they don't have confidence in it.  Their conceptual basis (same as 40+ years ago here) is that breastfeeding is permissible - so long as the baby is being given other food. I suspect they really think they are doing the right thing as regards the baby and humouring the mother by "letting" her continue some breastfeeding. They would also believe that when a mother's milk supply is low, it is "lost" and cannot be increased. Why?  Because no one has educated them about how demand/supply work and how to manage breastfeeding to boost yield and turn things round.  

I'm sure they are very good at other things they do, but breastfeeding management and support are not in their knowledge and skills set. 

If Mums are given good information to understand how breastfeeding works and how to get their babies on track, and if they have really good support (support that respects where the mother is at), they have the chance to decide for themselves that boosting the supply is do-able in their personal situation. (Remember one caveat, of course - if the mother has glandular insufficiency.)

Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA
Private Practice Lactation Consultant and Historian
Australia

Terri Klein wrote:
In search of your opinions. Recently have been seeing moms that pediatricians are starting babies on solids due to not gaining enough. Also recommending solids before breast. One advised a mom to add one tsp of formula to a bottle of breastmilk. This seems like nonsense to me. I still believe breast before solids. Offer healthy fats such as avacodos, sweet potatoes, and protein if baby has started protein. Any ideas are appreciated.
Terri Klein RN, IBCLC, RLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2