Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:47:36 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (67 lines)
After reading some of this furthering discussion, I wanted to add another thought now, thinking that my post isn't quite complete.

I think it would be helpful to add that my first child, almost seven now, started solids at the age of 3.5 months, at the persistence of his pediatrician.  Of course he wasn't ready, but as a first time mom, I did what I was instructed to do.  He was propped in a high chair, and fed baby cereal with a spoon.  Whatever he spit out (everything) was put back in.  We brought jarred food with us wherever we went; restaurants, friends houses, traveling, holidays, etc.  At 15 months he was diagnosed with a life threatening bovine allergy and today is my pickiest eater.  He has some oral aversions to foods of very soft texture and has been know to vomit his dinner directly back on to his plate (lovely!).

By the time my other two children were born, I had found true breastfeeding support (La Leche League) and was confident enough in my mothering instincts to not force solids on to my daughters, who started very late, but thankfully have no allergies.  We are definitely at the extreme end of the category of 'delayed for food allergies'.

Now that I filled in that point, I want to say that I believe one of our goals should be to educated and empower the mother to know her baby well enough so that, with confidence, she can look for the signs of readiness for solids in her own child 'somewhere in the middle of the first year' (can sit up on his own, does not tongue thrust, has an interest in food...and I believe having teeth is also another sign of solid readiness) and start her child when he really is ready for solid food, based on his physiology; not based on the calendar, baby food commercials or what the pediatrician tells every client in his office.

If I had been encouraged by my own pediatrician to evaluate my son's signs of readiness, I can assure you, his introduction to solids would have been delayed for a long, long time.

Happy Monday All,
Michelle Swanson, LLLL
Bitter Cold - Wyoming (-15F) brrrr......!

To: "Lactation Information and Discussion" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Mammals
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 01:39:11 -0800

Thank you Dr. Gordon for posting this.

On a personal note, my first daughter had no teeth and no interest in solid food until age 13 months and my second daughter had no teeth and no interest in solids until age 15 months.  Both are happy, healthy, and eat a variety of good foods now without any aversions.  They are ages 4 years and 2 years.  As their mother, I just followed their cues and trusted them to know when they were ready for solid food.  Because they were exclusively breastfed, I knew that they would be getting everything from me that they needed to grow strong and healthy.

Michelle Swanson, LLLL
Windy, Cold, Snowing, Wyoming, USA....brrr....

--- [log in to unmask] wrote:

To:           [log in to unmask]
Subject: Mammals
Date:         Sat, 13 Dec 2008 22:39:17 -0800

Breast milk is sufficient for optimal growth far beyond six months of age in
humans and an equivalent period of time in all other mammals.  Katherine
Dettwyler has written the definitive work in this area.  She also gives
incredibly good speeches.

http://www.kathydettwyler.org/

http://www.got-breastmilk.org/naofweaning.shtml

Jay Gordon, MD, FAAP (sheepish) FABM (proud)  IBCLC Emeritus

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2