Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2016 15:14:46 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
New to the list, and here is my big question.

I need your opinion for a project I'm working on.  I am looking into creating a lactation certification program.  I need practical advice regarding the course length.  According to the LEAARC a breastfeeding counselor (AKA CLC) needs 40 hours of didactic training and there is no specific hands-on portion.  But to test for IBCLC you need 90 hours of didactic and 300-1000 hours of hands on (depends on setting).  All that said, since the LEAARC certification is not required for granting a CLC, there is no standard set for the minimum number of hours needed to obtain a CLC.

The big question is how many hours should I include in the training?  As I see it, in the perfect world the course should enable students to qualify to sit the board for IBCLC, but most people can't or won't sit in class for 90 straight hours (more than two weeks).  In my practice, primarily military, the insurance coverage requires an RN, CLC or RN, IBCLC to cover the visit.  As such, all the nurses in this area need is a CLC.  They can take the basic course and then go on later to complete the training.  I envision a two-part program with basic and advanced lactation which would allow for both needs.  All that said, there are those who would suggest that a 20 hour course will do the job since there are no specific standards to earn the title of "Lactation Counselor".  

Please weigh in and let me know what you think.

TIA,

Tom Johnston
CNM, IBCLC
Methodist University
Mother's Helper Home Healthcare
Fayetteville NC

Tom Johnston CNM, IBCLC
Assistant Professor of Nursing
Methodist University
910-480-8423

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2