Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 00:35:19 -0900
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
They say that pioneers get all the arrows...and I feel like a porcupine tonight.  Here in Alaska a major TV station alerted audiences to stay tuned for the upcoming episode of Law and Order in the most controversial episode yet!  Sounded good to me - I was there.   For those of you who missed it, Law and Order (Emmy Award winning show) depicted a failure to thrive death of an infant.  The subliminal messages were just incredible.  The "Lactation Counselor" dressed in a dark suit, looked like nurse Ratchett with pinched lips.  She relayed to the jury how she instructed the mother not to use formula, to breastfeed only.  I was gasping with the jury as the mother on the stand sobbed how the LC made her sign a contract to only breastfeed her baby.  As my husband was peeling my hands off my face I vaguely heard further comments about the pressure LC's exert on mothers about nipple confusion and my favorite...how at least the hospital was responsible enough to send home formula with the new parents.

My first reaction was 1) I don't even own a dark suit and  2) Who is benefiting from airing an episode like this?  I have patiently worked my way into an excellent contract with a major hospital here in Anchorage, the first Lactation Consultant they have hired to make rounds on the patients.  I have learned very quickly that there is always an agenda when propaganda like this rears its' ugly head.  I suggest we as professionals look at who owns this station... and who owns them... and who owns them.... 

I only hope that the women involved in making the show feel some remorse as to the harm and fear they have caused in presenting this kind of misinformation.  Personally, I refuse to stew about it anymore as I need to get up early in the morning, find that silly dark suit and head over to the hospital.  They can keep shooting those arrows...I just stay focused on the faces of those new mothers that are so glad to see me every day.

Martha Olson, RN, IBCLC, ICCE
Anchorage, AK    

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2