Jon Ahrendsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 1996 09:23:53 -0500
Content-Type:
multipart/mixed
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1659 bytes) , application/ms-tnef (2803 bytes)

>My name is Steve Marchbank, and I'm a Pediatric resident at the University
of Missouri-Columbia.  I am beginning work on a paper about Failure to Thrive in neonates, and have an interest in obtaining information  and/or references regarding breastmilk/breastfeeding as a cause for FTT.  Specifically, I'm curious about whether or not there are recognized disorders of breastmilk's caloric content in the setting of normal  breastmilk volume.  I understand that inadequate nutrition and hydration negatively affect breastmilk production and volume - however, does this exist as a recognized entity in mothers with good nutrition?
>I would appreciate any input, suggestions or references you might be able
to provide.  Thank you for your time. 
>Steve Marchbank, MD      [log in to unmask]

Iam sorry I can't be more precise but I was told at one of the breatfeeding meettings that I have attended that the mother's diet has to be at near fatal starvation levels for the milk to be negatively affected.  The mother's fluid intake will affect the volume first before the quality of milk is affected.  I believe that UNICEF or the WHO has done work on this in the AFRICAN countries.  The point made at the metting was that the excuse of USA women that they don't want to have to watch what they eat inorder to breastfeed just doesn't hold aby water.

I think this matter has already been studied, you just need to find the people that did it.

Jon Ahrendsen MD FAAFP LLLI MEdical Associate
Clarion, Iowa                                                                                                                                            

ATOM RSS1 RSS2