Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2011 19:44:33 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (54 lines)
 Lisa,
I never just throw herbs at women. That's one reason why I don't like fenugreek. I use herbs specifically as food to nourish and heal the mother's body.  Every single intake I do includes a nutritional profile and I spend more time working with moms on nutrition than anything else I do. I think it should be mandatory for every IBCLC to have a LOT more knowledge about nutrition than we do now. Real nutrition--not the mainstream crap that most people are taught. But, I do not like the various milk cookies for many reasons--for one thing, gluten is a common allergen, cause of inflammation, hormone imbalances and depression. I do not want to encourage mothers to eat it. I do not want to encourage mothers to eat sugar either. I believe oversupply and undersupply are two sides of the pro-inflammatory response in the body and I spend a lot of time helping mothers quell that inflammation. Sugar, cow milk, gluten, GMOs and all processed foods keep that flame raging. 

Milk Makers:

oatmeal chocolate chip: oats, flour, butter, sugar, chocolate chips, eggs,  brewer’s yeast, ground flax seed, salt, vanilla, water, baking soda.
oatmeal   raisin dairy free: oats, flour, natural oil spread, sugar, eggs,   brewer’s yeast, ground flax seed, salt, vanilla, water, baking soda,   cinnamon, clove.

These contain a lot of pro-inflammatory ingredients. And what is "natural oil spread"? I do teach moms about using foods to make milk. And using foods to manage stress and exhaustion. And the significance of nourishing our bodies. About supplements and EFAs. But, these are not high-quality ingredients. Now, a mom could make them that way with coconut flour or almond meal and free-range eggs and grinding her own flax seed and using raw honey or grade B maple syrup instead of sugar and even gluten-free oats, but as of now--I am absolutely not a fan. It's just one more example of trying to make something look healthy that isn't. 

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, France
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 2011 12:45:02 -0600
Subject: Mom with ? PCOS, orally challenged Baby  and Dropping supply

I would also add since hearing Jane Morton speak at ILCA that make sure she is 
doing some sort of Compression/Massage with pumping to increase emptying and 
thus refilling. Also I am starting to re think Medication/Herbal Galactogogues, 
as opposed to say like Milk Maker cookies, which the mom's could do themselves 
much more cheaply, just make oatmeal and add Brewer's Yeast and Flax seed, as 
this nourishes the Body Nutritionally. I wish someone would do research on say 
Herbal Galactogogues versus this oatmeal set up and see which had a better 
effect. I think far more of our Mom's are undernourished especially on a 
Micronutrient level then we realize and just throwing Drugs or certain herbs at 
it is not going to restore the Nourished state, not that they don't work, of 
course they do and they have a rightful place in the mix of it all. Lisa Mooney 
CNM MSN IBCLC.  		 	   		  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2