Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2012 18:49:09 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Beth,

I have always pointed out to mothers that they really only need stored milk for the first day back at work, although they will most likely want to have a little bit more on hand, just in case.  But this would generally mean that if they start expressing once or twice a day, at most, and they get one to two ounces each time, they will have more than enough if they do this for two to three weeks prior to returning to work.  

I remind them that this is "precious time" that is best spent relaxing and nursing, not slaving over a pump!

Why on earth would a mother need a large "stash" of milk, assuming she is planning to pump at work?  She will get lots just as soon as that first morning feeding is missed, and she has to pump, instead.  She may be surprised. 

But many mothers think that if they are only pumping and getting one or two ounces (while also nursing the baby all day long, too) that they will get a similar amount at work.  They forget the fact that they will miss the feeding the baby is taking now.

I do believe a mother can artificially "up" her supply, but this is hardly necessary in most cases.  Too bad these mothers are not able to sit and rock and enjoy their time at home before they have to leave the baby all day.

Sue Jacoby, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2