Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:30:24 EDT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
I wanted to share what we did for World Breastfeeding Week--it turned out great.
We had planned on having a walk along the waterfront and then moving into a church for dinner but it rained so we went directly into the church. We had the mayor's proclaimation read as a welcome and an official start to the event(he had planned on being there but canceled). We had a total of about 80-90 people. Since we have a number of Spanish speaking moms, we had an interpreter that afternoon which helped greatly. We had two moms speak, one was Hispanic but she spoke in English as a way of being polite to everyone. She then spoke in Spanish. Both moms talked about why they choose to breastfeed and what they have gotten back  from the experience. I had received the two WABA banners on the WBW theme while I was at the ILCA conference and we displayed those and I discussed WABA, the theme and the issue of The RIght to BF. We then had dinner-all donated by local merchants--pizza, drinks, cookies, fruit and cheese and crackers. The coordinator of the Inhome BFing Support Progra!
m then spoke about that program. We then had story time for the children, both in Spanish and in English. We then had a Pinata which the kids loved busting open and getting all that candy. We ended with door prizes which also had been donated. We had enough for all bfing moms to get a prize-gift certificates for dinners and movies, and prizes like stepstools, baby carriers, sippy cups and bibs, memo pads and pens, tee shirts, tote bags, and cosmetics. Even the Dads got "dad prizes"- gift certificates for movie rentals.
I did a TV interview, and two newspaper articles about the WABA banners which we have on display here at the health department. I also wrote a letter to the county commissioners about WBW and the WABA banners and also am going to display them at the Board of Health Meeting.
Thanks Dorraine for making this possible.
We took pictures with a digital camera and I am going to create a file with those whenever I get a chance. We don't have a webpage yet but that also is in the works.

Barbara Whitehead, IBCLC
Eastern NC

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2