Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2012 20:19:39 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
/Rosemary asks://

Does anyone have any information about the safety of Hydroxyurea while breastfeeding? In the copy of Hale I have (2008), it's classified as L2, but everywhere else I look (LactMed, NIH, the package insert) says it's contraindicated. This would be for chronic use, not just during crises.

/Hale/'s/Infant Risk app lists Hydroxyurea as an L3 (probably safe) but the text provides what seems to me to be contradictory information.  On the one hand, it says, "Following a dose of 500 mg three times daily for 7 days, the concentration of hydroxyurea in breastmilk averaged 5.1 mg/L (range 3.8 - 8.4 mg/L).  This is about 4.3% of the maternal dose which is probably too low to have clinical effects in a breastfeeding infant."

However, it goes on to say, "As this product is potentially toxic, mothers receiving hydroxyurea should probably withhold breastfeeding for a minimum of 12-24 hours after the dose."

This is a situation where I would recommend either the mother or I call the Infant Risk Center at 806-352-2519 and get information more specific to the mother's case, straight from the expert.

Spencer, BfUSA BC and Family Physician

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
        E. Spencer Joslin, MD
        [log in to unmask]
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2