Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2013 16:43:04 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
I forgot to add to my reply to Shannon that sucking by a partner is a pretty tame idea. A century or two ago women who were engorged (including women who had fashionably decided not to breastfeed at all), or who had mastitis, would hire a "pap-suck" or "suck-pap" to relieve their breasts. This was an adult, usually a woman from the poorest of the poor, but it could be a toothless old man. The instances I've come across were in three countries.  In one area of Switzerland, a female employed to do this service had syphilis (then a common disease) and she infected a number of women via the lesions in or around her mouth. I've mentioned this on lactnet before.

So much safer if it is the woman's life partner!

Virginia
in Brisbane, QLD, Australia
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Virginia wrote:
.... stimulaton by a significant other person. This is something I've mentioned one-to-one when providing guidance on inducing lactation, even back in the days when people found it a bit shocking to talk about. Some examples I've come across in 47 years of interest in this field are:
- stimulation by a partner (male or same sex)
- stimulation at the breast by another baby "borrowed" for the purpose (in close kinship or friendship groups)
- a mother with unusually high breasts being able to self-stimulate with mouth (Rarely would this be anatomically possible. I've only come across this once.)

Shannon wrote:
During a recent conversation about induced lactation (for a situation where there is not yet a baby in the home), I was asked about the effectiveness of "natural" pumping / breast stimulation by a significant other instead of a breastpump.  I cannot recall any prior professional discussion about this question.  Seperating the question from the situation, do you have any prior clinical experiences with a similar case? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2