Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2013 22:00:10 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
<Yes, we dont really know if a breastfeeding class makes a difference.  Wewould like to think that is does! >

I'd like to be able to do some kind of assessment, if only to make a connection between those who took a prenatal breastfeeding class, breastfeeding initiation/duration rates, incidence of difficulties, etc.  In talking with mothers after their baby arrives, most of them wish their prenatal care included a series of breastfeeding messages.  I think that would be much  more effective than a group class.  Kind of along the lines of individually teaching bottle feeding.

The problem I'm having with breastfeeding classes is that they're just so big, it's hard to customize them.  Please no flames; i teach for a large organization and do not control how many couples are enrolled.  Tonight's class had 21 enrolled (not including support people) and I think there were probably 30+ people in the room.

So I have a presentation, then I ask folks what their concerns are, what they've heard; I try to ferret out some positives, too.  Then I spend more time on their concerns.  It's hard to do, because as the benevolent dictator, I know there's some general information that mothers should probably know.  Sometimes you don't know enough to even ask a good question (at least I don't!).  I make sure I cover holding the baby, what makes a good latch, how to know baby is getting enough, stages of milk production, making milk, emphasize the normal biology of it all (obviously not in this order); then most people want to know about pumping.

Mary Wagner-Davis, MS, IBCLC
Roseville, CA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2