Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2014 16:31:39 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Hi all, I have permission to post and would love your recommendations and thoughts.  Here is the scenario: the mother writes: "{baby} turned one in November and has cavities so bad on her top four teeth that the first dentist she saw said the only option was to pull them:( the second dentist is a little more hopeful but said if she were his kid he'd ween her immediately. What is your opinion about that? I really don't want to wean her right now but also don't want to have her teeth pulled."  She is working on night weaning currently.  

When we spoke further she indicated that her dentist thought breastmilk would increase the rate of tooth decay.    My thoughts are that there may be other factors to look into right now, such as vit D and calcium levels, and that the benefits of breastfeeding might outweigh the risks of weaning right now, especially given that it is flu season...and that any milk--if it is a lactose issue leading to the decay, would potentially have the same issues- -whole milk would not provide any protection form dental caries and the method of feeding would be influential as well.  

I would love thought from folks that have more experience in this area than I do!  Thank you!

Carrie Cohen, MA, MS, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2