Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:31:13 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I have long advocated using 24 hr weight as a base weight in term, healthy babies.  Of course, this would upset the "system" in many places.  The hospital where I worked had computer generated charts and the chart for the newborn could not be started without certain data-including birth weight!  In so many instances of interventions that get in the way of initiating and supporting breastfeeding the argument is that StS or whatever we suggest is "inconvenient" or "won't work with the way we 'have to' do things".  The baby's need and normal physiology should drive the system, not the system drive the baby!  But that is another subject.

Regarding weight loss:  I don't think it's just a question with large babies.  Consider the following theoretical scenario:  Twins are born who are identical in every way (including weight) except-twin A voids and stools before it is weighed and twin B is weighed and then voids and stools.  Their intake and output is exactly the same over the next 24 hours, but just before the next weighing, twin B voids and stools once more.  Twin B will show a bigger weight loss on paper (2 more voids and stools) than twin A, but they have actually taken in and put out the same amount.  Thus twin B may raise red flags about "not doing as well" as its twin!  

Winnie

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2