Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:42:41 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
Rachel mentions that teens are shocked at learning the cost of formula, especially when they will be on WIC (for those out of the US, it is a government program to provide suplemental food for Women Infants and Children).  I can't count the number of moms I dealt with who really believed that WIC would provide all the formula they would need!  It is a SUPPLEMENTAL program, not a full food program.  People seem to understand this when it comes to food for the mothers and children, but not when it applies to infants.  Unfortunately, the amount of formula it will provide IS adequate for the baby's needs in the early days, but before too long, (and usually past the time when it would be easy to start breastfeeding-by design?) they need to also buy some formula.  Why isn't this information more fully explained when moms are making their feeding decisions in the first place?  Or if it is fully explained, why aren't they hearing it?  I ask myself this every time I see pleas from food banks where "baby formula" is often the most needed item.

winnie

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2