Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 07:05:32 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
After recertifying by cerps in 2002, my collegue and I will be recertifying by exam on 2007.  Yes, we took the SOP into consideration.  Though we dont agree with the SOP as many of you have also expressed, we feel we own it to our clients and to our community to prove our knowledge is up to date.  I cannot agree nor disagree if the exam is capable of this, since I have not taken it yet.  Still, it is not like we love taking it again...ha,ha,ha.

Our career is not recognized, nor non medical professionals IBCLC's (which is my case) are accepted by many in our island (Puerto Rico).  Through many efforts by our late Johanne Scott and Priscilla Bornsman done in 2001, the local Department of Health and our legislature acknowledge we "exist", but does not recognize us as professionals.  And I would never end writting this email if I start telling  you all the hardships Ive gone through all these years, simply for defending our career.  If this didnt stop me, the SOP is not going to stop me either.  

In Puerto Rico, about 99% of the people who call themselves bf educators, counselors or lactations consultants are not certified nor are they IBCLC's.  Like I said before, our career is not recognized.  Because of this, I am aware that I can keep working without having the credentials.  I bet many of you are in the same situation.  But maybe because it hasnt been that easy for me, I carry that credential with pride.  

Our fight is not over.  Maybe we are just a couple of steps up the ladder from when Johanne Scott along with many others 30+ years ago began certifying us.  Is up to us to keep the career alive and fighting for the recognition we deserve.

Bye for now!!!
  Carmen Cabrer, IBCLC
  [log in to unmask]
  Puerto Rico

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2