Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2012 13:09:06 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
The thread has helped alot.  As you who have been following it know, the advise ranges from "make him your friend" to "file a complaint with EEOC", and everything inbetween.  Here is what has transpired since my question to you on LACTNET:

I approached my boss, the dean, who asked me to address it with him directly.  I did that yesterday, alone with him in his office.  The colleague in question apparently had no idea that he had been offensive.  He was shocked. He stated that he did not mean to be misogynistic.  I told him I that I was concerned that he is uncomfortable with womens' bodies and breasts specifically and that I am concerned about his female students (the vast majority of students are female). He stammered, basically, denied any problems with breast and breastfeeding, mentioned that his wife breastfed, and apologized.

I documented the incident itself into a memo, as well as my interchange with the colleague, and sent it to the dean, with a return "read receipt" requested.

So, I didn't go to HR.  As Elizabeth Brooks wisely hinted, there might be a reason that they are not helpful.  And, my history with them is very disappointing. I would even say hostile.  SO, I am waiting for the Dean to respond to me.

Thank you everybody for the great support! If I doubted my reaction, I don't anymore. I will definitely keep you posted.
Isabella

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2