Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2012 08:31:16 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Not only are the risks of PIF not well-known, or not known at all in some circles, this stuff has been thought of as the "default option" (to use computer terms).  In other words, this is what is usually expected to be used - ahead of breastfeeding, breastmilk feeding, and other types of artificial feeding. The term is one I used in my PhD thesis and was suggested to me by my principal thesis advisor. Many people, consumers and professionals, still see it as being as much a part of their mindset as motherhood and apple pie.

This situation doesn't have to continue as inevitable. Remember when most men, and a lot of women, had a cigarette plugged into their mouths and smoked anywhere and everywhere? When non-smokers were supposed to concur with the needs of smokers and not "make" them feel uncomfortable or guilty? When men who didn't smoke (like my father) needed a lot of courage. Despite tobacco use having been culturally embedded for decades, nay, hundreds of years, all that has changed. Despite the financial power and influence of the industry, smoking and attitudes towards it have changed, dramatically. Remember when HCPs tried to make Mums feel they were "bad" mothers if they didn't give orange juice from the very early weeks? Let's not cave in and think it is "too hard" to change the myriad interlocking attitudes that keep PIF and bottle use as people's "default option" for feeding babies.

To all of you who are celebrating religious or cultural holidays this week, with many different ways of doing so, my good wishes.

Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2