Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:41:24 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Stats of bf past 18 monthsHi Katherine,
Thanks for the info. I'm glad that you were there to advocate for increasing the age cut off for analysis. I'm interested in this because I'm currently working on teh data analysis of a study looking at the experiences of mothers and children of breastfeeding for 2 years or more (in this case 2 years is the minimum). All the participants are in Australia so it doesn't have a direct link to US stats but as you said, it's just interesting to see that yes, this happens. You might be interested to know that the Aust Bureau of Stats did a similar study fairly recently and published data up to 2 years [log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask] (1% of the children were being breastfed at this stage). They collected data up to 3 years but the numbers were too small for them to consider them statistically valid (from memory I think it was 0.4% at 3 years). Unfortunately in their background on the study they misquote WHO and say that breastfeeding is recommended up to 2 years rather than up to 2 years and beyond....they did tell me they were going to change it but it hasn't materialised (maybe someone else might remind them). Anyway, if you ever do crunch the numbers beyond 18 months I'd be interested to see them from.
Karleen Gribble
Australia

The sample does in fact have bf duration up to and including the 35 mo cut off for inclusion in the study, for purposes of retaining confidentiality for posting the data to the public site, however, we had to make a determination to truncate reports at 18 months, because after that point the numbers get very very small.  We have been considering doing further analyses on the >18 mo range but were at a significant time crunch to get the data out for WBW and thus weren't able to get to it before the public release.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2