Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2015 13:33:59 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
I do not recommend blocked feedings at all.  If a person has a truly large storage capacity, they can pump two-three times a day and maintain supply as long as they empty the breast.  What reduces milk supply?  It is failure to drain.  So it seems logical that incomplete drainage will reduce supply.  Therefore, when a mom feels milk supply is too much, I advise 1) nurse in laid-back position 2) change breasts frequently rather than empty one breast 3) DO NOT PUMP.  If supply is too much for baby to feed, try HAND-EXPRESSION for a minute or two before latching on each side.  

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Allyson Michaels

Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 8:00 AM

Subject: oversupply management

PTP. I have a mother, 2nd child, who had oversupply with 1st and is dealing with it again. With her 1st child she did not seek help. With this child, he will nurse well, per her story, but spit up al day long.  Peds had diagnosed reflux and suggested mother pump and offer EBM. Infant was taking 4.5 to 5.5 oz a bottle at 6 weeks. Birth weight was 8# 2oz and was 14# at last visit. Spit up was less with bottles. Mother was obtaining 40oz /day, pumping till milk flow stopped, 10-15 minutes. I recommended she discuss zantac or some such with peds to help break the reflux cycle. We discussed diet, dairy elimination, probiotics. I suggested she try posture feeding along with full drainage at her fullest time (which was 2am) and then blocking to one breast per feed. I suggested an outpatient visit as we have seen her with any feedings since delivery.

Last week, we talked again. She had tried to directly breastfeed several times, doing the full emptying and block feeding but infant had significantly increased spits again. She found herself getting fuller in 12 hours and did not care for the fullness of the side not used at a feeding. She did not apply ice for comfort. She had tried dairy elimination but saw no changes. She will be returning to work soon and wishes to enjoy breastfeeding. At 2am she was pumping 12-14oz to empty. Infant was feeding every 2-3 hours, except for 2 longer sleep sessions. She will be having a Mirena IUD placed in 2 weeks. 

Again, I discussed dietary changes. She does not eat red meat. I talked about dairy needing longer than a week to show a difference and mentioned corn, soy, eggs, gluten, wheat, nuts/peanuts as common allergens. We had discussed herbs at 1st discussion but she did not seem keen on the idea. 

I am not a good one to help reduce supply. Do you find that when helping a mother reduce oversupply, they are very worried about not having enough in the freezer for later?

Allyson Michaels, RN, IBCLC

Charlottesville, VA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2