Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:29:43 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Hi, I'm new to Lactnet.
  I am a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor and returning to college nursing student. 
  I have a mom who has a preemie baby, born at 37 weeks,  who has been almost exclusively BF for about 28 days now. The baby has not regained it's birth weight. Born at 6lbs 11oz and is now down to 6lbs 2oz.  The mom is bf every 3 hours. I advised to nurse as much as possible till I see her tomorrow. I explained she should nurse every two hours with the start of the first feed and the start of the second feed being no longer than two hours apart, regardless of the length of feeding. Advised to feed for at least 30 minutes.
  Her pediatrician is asking her to supplement with Isomil as the baby is not gaining. They did an upper GI and then an ultrasound. The mother was unable to tell me exactly what they were looking for. I asked her if they did a blood test, they did not.
  What can I do to help this mother communicate with her pediatrician and NOT supplement? It seems that she needs to increase her nursing length of session and frequency of feeds as well as search for a possible underlying metabolic or other issue that is the cause of the slow/no weight gain.  I am irritated that the Dr.s answer is to formula feed. Sure, this will make for a fatter baby, but healthier?  I don't imagine so.
   Appreciate all your help, feel free to email me as much as anyone likes off the list at jen at healinghands doula . com
   - Jennifer Delaney

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2