Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 2009 20:00:16 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Hormonal birth control does have an impact on milk supply and the earlier it is introduced, the more detrimental it seems to be.  A Depo shot in essense tells the body, within days of giving birth that the mother is again pregnant.  How could this _not_ have an impact on milk production.  Again the hospital system of maternity care  which is based on a factory model of providing health care does a great disservice to individuals.  Depo given without consent or under duress is yet another hardship placed on women who choose hospital birth. 

"Well pardon me for my backward attitude, but it seems to me that the more
kids are taught about sex the more kid pregnancies there seem to be."

I can understand this as an educational theory, but the small amount of _research_ that we have about sex education is that the more information about sex and contraception, the fewer teen pregnancies in the educated population.

"Teens who received comprehensive sex education were 60 percent less likely to report becoming pregnant or impregnating someone than those who received no sex education.

The likelihood of pregnancy was 30 percent lower among those who had abstinence-only education compared to those who received no sex education, but the researchers deemed that number statistically insignificant because few teens fit into the categories that researchers analyzed.

While they also did not reach statistical significance, other survey results suggested that comprehensive sex education — but not abstinence-based sex education — slightly reduced the likelihood of teens having engaged in vaginal intercourse. Neither approach seemed to reduce the likelihood of reported cases of sexually transmitted diseases, but again the results were not statistically significant."  

Journal reference: Kohler PK, Manhart LE, Lafferty WE. Abstinence-only and comprehensive sex education and the initiation of sexual activity and teen pregnancy. J Adolesc Health 42(4), 2008.

Warmly,

Charity Pitcher-Cooper BSN/RN (usually a lurker, who had responsible, _consensual_ sex at age 16 with a partner age 18, and, I might add, had a very good time).

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2