Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 2015 13:41:58 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Thanks Nikki, for posting this reference. This article is dismembered in my book in great detail, under the heading “Comp feeds support breastfeeding? another widely reported study.” Any reader who was taken in by this study needs to go back to basics about reading research articles. I can’t believe that this was what was referred to as research support/evidence for supplementation. If anything, it provides support for drastic restriction of supplementation. 

I am not going to post page numbers or large chunks from my book here for fear of being banned from Lactnet (I am currently being moderated, so don’t assume I am disinterested if silent). But just one teeny fact to note. The women randomised to not get comp feeds or supplements actually gave their babies MUCH larger volumes of infant formula than those whose formula intake was controlled, and so of course they were far less likely to still be breastfeeding months later, for a wide range of reasons. Lots more to note than the unholy coincidence of Pediatrics once again supporting the industry which supports it. (The fabulous Dr. Bill Silverman told me in 1984 that he enquired in the 1970s as to how much this support saved every US paediatrician, and was told that Pediatrics would cost another US$80 without industry support. He showed me the reply.)

> On 19 Nov 2015, at 12:51 pm, LACTNET automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
> In the week before Similac launched their "formula for supplementation”, Pediatrics published this article: Effect of Early Limited Formula on Duration and Exclusivity of Breastfeeding in At-Risk Infants: An RCT. Valerie J. Flaherman, MD, MPH , et al

Maureen Minchin
Currently delighted that Prof Mary Renfrew discussed my work at length during the UK BFI conference now in progress; and (after thirty years writing about this issue) still constantly staggered by the uncritical reporting and acceptance of studies that seem to support formula feeding, but in fact don’t, if you read them carefully.
www.infantfeedingmatters.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2