Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2010 10:45:06 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Sorry I am late to add to this topic, but I was enjoying a much needed vacation and was instructed by my husband to ditch the phone for 1 weekend (I agreed with much hesitation).

Anyway, I read the posts and although I do think the whole idea of calling the second breast "dessert" or the breast the "breasturant" for that matter is a little cheesy, I do not think it is a cause for concern. Many mothers and fathers like these silly analogies and it puts things in perspective. I do not think any well meaning parent (eating disorder or not) will limit their babies feedings out of fear of obesity, and if they do, they probably would regardless of calling one breast "dessert". And if they decided to do this, the mother's body would compensate by producing more milk in the breast that is being used (without Mommy's knowledge) and baby would gain fine.

When people do use this model they usually say that sometimes babies will continue eating and other times they are finished, but you should offer it regardless. That being said; Babies do not need to eat on more than one breast.

I know there is an obesity epidemic and it is something to be taken very seriously, but I do not think calling the second breast dessert is going to add to this epidemic, it is just a kitchy little saying that women have used for years.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2