Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 11:29:58 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Norwegians from the age of 6 weeks to 90 years are officially advised to take cod liver oil, 5 ml daily, whether in pregnancy, during lactation, or just plain living.  Omega-3 fatty acids and all that, and cow's milk has not been fortified with A & D up to now.  Last week or so, the first Vitamin D fortified low fat cow's milk hit the stores, and is recommended for children and people who don't take cod liver oil.
I have been taking cod liver oil for the past two years and have no trouble getting it down if followed rapidly (no time to savor the bouquet of the oil) by an orange juice chaser.  The predominant effect is the virtuous feeling, though I imagine it is doing all kinds of good for my night vision and my circulation.  The risk of toxic effects is low if A & D are ingested in their natural forms in cod liver oil-- try taking it yourself and you will see why.
Otherwise, pregnant women, lactating women and children are advised not to use any dietary supplements routinely, not even iron.  Folic acid supplements are recommended periconceptionally as in England, to reduce risk of neural tube defects, but that's the extent of it.
BTW, it is normal to eat real meals here-- imagine my surprise on working in hospital, to see homemade sandwiches pulled out of handbags at the nurses' station, and very svelte attractive women eating 4 or 5 slices of bread with cheese, or mackerel in tomato sauce, at 11 am.  Most of them have consumed something similar before leaving for work at 7.  I was used to a nurse's lunch being a Tab and a cigarette, though I never indulged in either one myself.
We have it pretty good here!
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2