Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 2009 12:17:40 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Susan posted about displays of Pigeon products where she is living in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA).  This sounds like dumping to me, in which a product whose saleability in its original market has plummeted due to consumer awareness or occasionally legislation, is sold in a new market where the information about the product's harmfulness or at best uselessness may not be as accessible, or where the marketer may not be subject to legal restrictions, or both.

I was intrigued and disturbed by the mysterious text next to the picture of this 'pump' on the Pigeon website:
"When preparing to breastfeed, it is recommended that you express any remaining milk in your breast from previous feeds. For mothers with flat or depressed nipples, the PIGEON Breast pump can also help to safely and gently draw out the nipples."

Depressed nipples?  *I* am feeling a little depressed after reading this, and I am wondering what they mean by 'preparing' to breastfeed.  If I am a pregnant woman, should I use one of these thingies to get all the old milk out of my breasts from previous breastfeeding experiences, in preparation to feed the next baby?  I would hate for my new baby to get old milk, after all.  I would never re-fill a feeding bottle before emptying it and washing it appropriately, so of course I will do the same with my breasts.  WT*?

A company that prints such rot beside a picture of an item we know has no defensible role whatsoever in breastfeeding or lactation is not a company you need to wonder about, it's a company you should steer well clear of.  This 'pump' would draw the milk straight down into the rubber bulb - but  I guess since it's just old milk way past its 'best before' date, that doesn't matter.

Note the blue logo-ish thing at the lower left of the on-line advert - surrounded by the text 'Committed to breastfeeding', it seems to show an adult holding a child while not breastfeeding it, in the best tradition of pump company illustrations.  You'd think they were afraid someone might get the wrong idea and actually let the child's mouth come in contact with a breast, and then who knows WHAT might happen.   

Susan, can you take pictures of the display next time you are in the store, and send them to Baby Milk Action and to WABA?  This is misleading information which only serves manufacturers of breastmilk substitutes.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway      

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2