Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:10:16 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (42 lines)
Charity writes:
"While I certainly understand Jennifer's outlook on infrequent stooling given her son's allergy/stooling history"

Don't misunderstand me--this is far from the reason I have drawn this conclusion. It is based upon many years of observing babies, of working holistically, of working with other holistic practitoners, of becoming educated about gut health and of watching outcomes.  You ask :
"If Leo was happy and gaining, what in your mother instinct gave you clues
to his digestive problems?  Can you recall?"

The answer is exactly the one you rejected--I knew because infrequent stooling is not normal.

"babies who have infrequent stools that are typical for them but not normal (ie indicative of some underlying health issue) just as there are frequent stoolers who are actually experiencing diarrhea; I cannot believe that every baby with a non-average stooling pattern is ill and in need of medical attention, chiropractic adjustment, or a mom on a drastic
elimination diets."

I can see why you would believe this. Yet, look in the animal kingdom. There is certainly genetic variation, yet, only sick animals do not have regular bowel movements. And animals who live with humans and  are not fed their normal diets might also have the same problem.

"Nature loves genetic variety.   Thanks to recent research into breast milk production, we now know that different mothers have different capacities for milk storage and milk production.  There are large breasts and small breasts, big nipples and small nipples (you are getting my drift here, I hope). "

I don't think we are in any position at this point in time to assume the variation in breast development is due solely to genetic variaton.  How much does exposure to toxins (including having been fed AIM and eating high on the food chain or eating processed foods), exposure to hormones and ABX and other drugs, intrautrine exposure to toxins, stress and general poor nutrition have to do with the development of the breasts? What is the relationship between gut health and breast function? If changing the intestinal flora changes the type of antibodies produced in the lactating breast, in what other ways do these systems relate?

"One of the great things about breastmilk is that it encourages the gut to create more surface area.  Why?  So there is greater absorption of nutrients and a greater re-claiming of needed materials- like water, salt and trace minerals.  I do not believe ALL infrequent stoolers are just
letting waste material to sit and ferment- creating toxins like food left to spoil outside in the sun.  Some are just better digesters and can use up the breastmilk so there is very little waste.  In my personal experience, 1-3 day poopers do not have gigantic stools.  Bigger than a
baby who stools 10 per day, but not 3 days worth of stool.  More like a stool and a half...no unusual odor or color, and not liquid, but certainly not difficult to pass."

This has not been my experience at all. By your statement, you are suggesting that babies who stool infrequently are the "better digesters"? So, this is preferred?

"Also- just as an aside, I do not think we should compare exclusive breastmilk stooling pattern to any other (adult or child).  Ideally, what makes the bulk of adult stool is non-digestable fiber.  The fiber content of breastmilk is very low;-) so it can all be used up- there should be very little to "waste"."

I think it is a reasonable comparision, b/c there is so much variation there as well and again indicative of the poor gut health of most Americans and perhaps westerners in general.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2