Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2011 22:15:18 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I used to be a pediatric nurse for 8 years before becoming an IBCLC. I have experienced many cases with social work involved. Social Services may get a bad name and sometimes do things that go against every recommendation that i have but i do know that when a child is removed from a home that the systems main focus is to see if they can reunite the family again. They will provide the family with a list of things that they need to complete and yes one of them may be that mother has to leave the father if the situation is that bad. So, i would strongly encourage her to keep pumping but not only that but to make daily appointments at the SW office to drop off her pumped breastmilk so that it can be given to the infant. Mothers breastmilk is the most natural food for any infant and drugs screens are negative. Plus this frequent pumping shows a desire from mother to do the right thing and it also reminds the mother every 2-3 hours about her baby and making different choices to get them back together. 

Jessica Callahan
RN, IBCLC
NC, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2