Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:52:10 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
E ven with the price scale sliding from LC to LC, Hospital to Hospital, Clinic to Clinic, there will always be those who can and want to pay more, and those who cannot. I am a big believer that our clients should not have to bear the brunt of our "cost" BUT that we deserve an honorable salary. Every medical institution dealing with birth and babies should be forced to employ a lactation person, with initials or without. The only proof of the effectiveness of this would be that every country reach their goals for women initiating and continuing exclusive BF until 6 months of age. But until we get there, we will probably have to wait another 20 years. (I have already waited the first 20!) So, we are here to pick up the pieces and fix the wrecks. 

How we get paid to do that remains very much a touch and go situation. I, for one, will go the USA and try to obtain donations and grants to be able to run a "free" clinic, BUT will include in the budget a very nice salary for a fulltime (or two parttime) LC's.  This is my dream. I know, here in Israel, it will take a long time until we will be recognized and incorporated as part of the HC system. But we cannot sit back and wait, and it would be a pity for some of us to get really burnt trying to make ends meet on an individual basis. Some days getting 1-2 clients, some days 5. Sitting around counting to see if rent payments can be met etc.... 

I am always saying this, but in the USA many very large corporations have to get rid of lots of money each year and look for worthy causes. Who is to say that some of you couldn't manage to get hold of some of that ? Get a professional to draw up a proposal, find someone you know who has some contact with some corporation and go for it. You lose nothing by trying and I really believe it can work. (Get Drs. Letters to go along with your request, WHO materials on the importance of BF blah blah blah) Wouldn't that be ideal? (If you get anything over $1million, I will be happy to accept a 10% commission for the idea!!) 

Good luck.!! to us all.

Ellen Shein, Tel Aviv

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2