Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:04:11 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
My name is Jennifer.  I am a junior nursing student at the University of North Dakota.  I subscribed to this listserv because of my interest in learning to help new mothers succeed at breastfeeding.  I have had some experience with hyperbilirubinemia in my immediate family in the past year, so I have recently done some research on hyperbilirubinemia in breastfed infants.  Hall, Simon, and Smith (2000) reported that readmission of breastfed infants in the first two weeks of life is on the rise.  The indications for readmission are primarily hyperbilirubinemia and/or excessive weight loss and dehydration. Early hospital discharge and inadequate counseling about breastfeeding were identified as risk factors for readmission (Harris, Bernbaum, Polin, and Zimmerman 2001).  

It has been debated whether supplementation should be given during the first days of life.  (Siever, Clausen, Oldigs, and Schaub, 2002).  I would like to know what is routinely practiced in your areas for supplementation when breastfed infants have hyperbilirubinemia?  

I am also wondering what kind of follow up you do with your patients after they go home from the hospital?  Is there adequate instruction and support for newly breastfeeding mothers that could prevent infants from needing to be readmitted to the hospital?  How can I as a student help my patients to be successful at breastfeeding before being discharged home?

References

Hall, R.T., Simon, S., Smith, M.T.  (2000).  Readmission of Breastfed Infants in the First Two Weeks of Life.  Journal of Perinatology, 20, 432-437.

Harris, M.C., Bernbaum, J.C., Polin, J.R., Zimmerman, R., and Polin R.A.  (2001).  Developmental Follow-up of Breastfed Term and Near-Term Infants with Marked Hyperbilirubinemia.  Pediatrics, 107, 1075-1080.

Sievers, E., Clausen, U., Oldigs H.D., Schaub J.  (2002).  Supplemental Feeding in the First Days of Life – Effects on the Recipient Infant.  Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, 46, 62-67.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2