Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2012 11:09:46 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
I have been doing phone consultations with a mom who started to wean her two year old resulting in a plugged duct that she has now had for almost two weeks.  She has been keeping breast empty, having child nurse with chin pointing towards lump, on lecithin, doing warm moist massage and compresses... all of the routine recommendations for plugged ducts. She has now also started to take sage to decrease milk supply to offset the effects of such frequent nursing (she still wants to wean). No signs of mastitis, but she has developed thrush. The breast recently has developed a ropy texture with several pea sized, movable lumps. Milk is very thick. She does not have any lactation consultants in her area, and prefers not to be examined by her doctor as she has found previously that his lactation knowledge is limited and she prefers to not be put on antibiotics due to the thrush. She noticed a decrease in the plugs after soaking in epsom salts and taking ibuprofen. 
I am a doula and a relatively new lactation counselor (which means I've read a lot of books but don't have much experience with serious breastfeeding problems yet), I would greatly appreciate any insights or additional recommendations to share.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2