Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 05:17:03 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Karen writes,

"As a medical student, I have to add that they have strong power over med students 
and residents for two reasons.  First, most are very, very poor and couldn't afford the 
food or time to eat at a nice restaurant, but also, there is an element of joining the club 
when you get the goodies that real doctors are gettting.  The salesmen can take 
advantage of that excitement to finally become a doctor to their advantage."

I was thinking about this yesterday.  I know a mental health professional who, mid-
career, joined a medical practice as the resident psychotherapist, and he was *thrilled* 
when he started getting invited to the local nice restaurant for a free meal and a lecture.  
I think he felt as if he had finally "arrived."  Soon after he started attending these 
functions, he did begin promoting a number of psychoactive drugs.  The lecturers at these 
dinners were, after all, physicians, and he trusted what they said entirely.

On the other hand, I was once acquainted with a very nice lady in my community here in 
the UK who is a pharmaceutical sales rep.  At one point I did very carefully ask her about 
her job ("carefully" as in I didn't ask her what it felt like to work for dark overlords of 
commerce), and was struck when she complained that most doctors wouldn't let her in 
the door to talk to them *unless* she brought with her a very nice, catered lunch.  

Interesting, huh? I wonder how many other pharmaceutical salespeople are thinking, "I 
would like to simply go in and educate these people about our latest product, but they 
demand that I bribe them first."

Kerry Ose

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2