Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 2013 07:45:52 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I'm a nutritionist and IBCLC; during the many years that I worked at WIC I saw an alarming number of infants diagnosed with GERD. They would often be on medication as well as a specialized formula that despite WIC assistance was a financial hardship. 
Given that hydrochloric acid is the beginning of digestion, I find it confusing that the first course of action for these digestion problems is to disable the body's ability to produce it. 
I'd like to know if there are more practitioners considering factors such as C-section birth, use of antibiotics before, during, or after the birth, etc. We're hearing more about the significance of gut flora and the human biome on overall health and the immune system.
I have heard from mothers that some MDs are recommending probiotics for colic or reflux, how  effective would it be in more intense cases? I'm going on a lot of gut instinct (no pun intended) here but doesn't it seem that resetting the gut and using formula shows a lack of thinking outside the box, not willing to choose a different path when the one you're on is ineffective. Perhaps it's just me unable to accept that any formula is a better option than breastfeeding. 

Wendy Jordan, BS, IBCLC
Private Practice Lactation Consultant
http://www.seacoastlactation.com/

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2