Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2012 18:33:06 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
I have been an IBCLC for 15 years and have seen more slow growers/failure to thrive babies in the last year than  I think I saw in the previous 14.  I have noticed a common practice with the babies' mothers that I would like to pick your brains about.

Many moms who are trying to build up a freezer stash to return to work are pumping after feeds or just feeding baby on one side and then pumping the other. They are storing that milk, and feel that what they are doing is increasing the supply to get what they perceive to be "extra" milk. I recently had a mom who was doing this on the advice of a healthcare professional.  She was storing 10-15 ounces a day.  This was milk her baby clearly needed. As soon as she stopped pumping, her baby gained 1 pound in 6 days, he was still at birth weight at 8 weeks.  Although not this extreme, I have had several cases where baby was not growing due to mom pumping and storing milk.

My question is this...a mom's ability to make milk is not unlimited.  I think some people think it is...they think if she keeps pumping, she will just keep making more.  So what is an appropriate amount that a mother might be able to make "extra" to store in a day?  I have always advised moms to only pump once or twice a day to store and only after the baby has had as much time at the breast as he wants. Some of these moms are giving pacifiers after they think the baby has had enough, and then they pump. I see a lot of babies born at various hospitals, and the inconsistency of information being given is confusing to me, not to mention the moms who are getting the inconsistent info.

What are your thoughts?  How do you all counsel moms on pumping and storing and the ability of the body to make "extra" milk?

Thanks so much!

Beth Seidel, BA, IBCLC
Pekin Hospital, Pekin, Il

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2