Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2015 00:33:33 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
Hello, Can anyone give me information on whether or not it's ever beneficial to limit the number of minutes at the breast of a preterm or late preterm infant. The ABM Late preterm protocol seems to recommend it. They state that a late pre-term should be transferring enough milk within 20 to 30 minutes by the time they are discharged from the hospital. But I thought that they expended less energy at the breast. I have heard others say that it may be beneficial if they are sucking weakly and not transferring milk, but it shouldn't be limited if their suck is strong. This seems to be a controversial issue. Is there any reason that you would recommend the same for a full-term infant with a weak suck? Even if they are sucking weakly and using an SNS at the breast, I don't see the point of taking them off after 30 minutes. If they cry are we going to just put a pacifier in their mouth? How does that improve the situation? Any thoughts or studies would be welcome. Thank you, Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2