Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:16:30 +0300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Hello all,
I really feel that I have to jump in here, because reading Karleen's post made me think.
Having run a non-profit organization all these years (til this year when I closed the non-profit and
just continue running the clinic the same, but supposedly (not yet) as a possible profit making venture!!(which we all know will probably not be!)
I can really appreciate the need for sponsorships, advertising and cooperation and any bit of financial help an organization can get in order to fulfil its mission. 
Also being an ex member of the Board of Directors of LLLI, we also came across the same types of dilemmas.
I personally think there is a big difference between formula companies (I AM aware of the WHO stance, but also believe that NOTHING is beyond revision and a lot of dynamics have been occuring over the past 20-30 years)and bottle and pump manufacturers. I also know that one by one nearly all of our possibilities are burnt, and slowly but surely non-profits who are at risk anyways, due to the hard economic times, are suffering even more so. Lets also add to the mix, the fact that all of our missions, ILCA, IBLCE, LLLI, and all of those great non-profits promoting parenting and breastfeeding in particular all over the world are attractive ONLY TO US> and not to the greater public. we are limited no matter how many pump companies will become non-compliant or compliant again. we have given up hundreds of thousands of hard earned dollars after working to build commercial relationships over the years, and even though some of you might be disgusted by the sound of "money", unfortunately that money is not growing on trees ourside our windows. There are ways to make up the difference...........believe it or not, if we would all Support our own organizations and give support to those around us, believe me, that in itself would make a huge difference. I find it very disheartening when we all jump down ILCA's throat (fill in LLLI, or any one else)_or accepting exhibition fees and advertising (which I believe is very very different from accepting sponsorship and perks) yet how many of us ARE paid up members of ILCA? or LLLI? or ok, you don't want to be a member? then at least an annual donation. No one else is going to help us stay in the game, and if we want to have conferences, or be present at fairs and be seen, it all takes that dirty "money". 
I have heard all too often - well, what do I get from paying my dues, what do I get from supporting the organization? we are all in it together and that is what we do. like a family. we all have to support each other. If every IBCLC would join ILCA (or LLLLeader would pay up their dues) I am sure there might be less pressure and financial strife. and OF COURSE I AM NOT AIMING THIS AT ALL THOSE WHO DO SO MUCH AND DO SUPPORT THE ORGANIZATIONS.and of course this is not aimed at Karleen, she just got me realizing that many are not ILCA members.  That goes without saying. we are all too quick to criticize without coming up with a plan B.

please no flames.
Respectfully 
Ellen Shein, IBCLC. LLLI
Tel Aviv 

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5692 (20101210) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2