Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:26:14 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Oh, I love those LLLI and ILCA conferences!  Toward the end of the ILCA conference, a small group of us gathered in the "elevator lobby" on the floor where several of us had rooms.  Some of us had to show others of us "why women live longer than men," so out came a laptop.  (By all means, google "why women live longer than men."  My particular favorite is the barefoot guy using a power tool on a metal ladder in a swimming pool.)

Once the laptop was out and that fabulous Chicago chocolate had been passed around, it made sense to get the projector so we could all see the images at the same time.  Elevator doors make pretty good movie screens, except for the crease down the middle.  And "Birth in the Squatting Position" is short enough to watch between people getting on or off the elevator.

But the biggest thrill was the hotel staff member - mother of a 9 month old - who found herself riveted by the film.  "I won't be able to do that.  My baby was born by c-section.  I don't know, I guess I just got scared."  And one of us was right there to say, "My first was a c-section, too.  My second was born at home, with a midwife, and it was *wonderful*!"  As the movie ended, the staff member walked away saying, "Next time, I'm gonna have a midwife!"

Thank you to Eileen Shea, Linda Smith, Tina Smillie, Cathy Genna, and all the rest of you for changing the world one unexpected mother at a time!

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.wiessinger.baka.com

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2