Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:08:34 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
I wish to add my voice in support of Nancy's comments regarding research.

Some years ago, part of my formal undergraduate curriculum was "how to read research", a long series of seminars with practical experience in critiquing journal articles in the health sciences.  While the ideas are still there, the practice has become a little creaky for me.  And it's certainly easy to become influenced by persuasive information, whether true or false.  Or by a persuasive presenter at a workshop.  

A few months ago one of our injury prevention people came out with an absolute statement about bedsharing being a no-no.  This was based on a newspaper report (forwarded to us by an employee of the Ministry of Health) of the AAP's statement based on the "research" that condemned bedsharing.  When I challenged that, it was suggested that _we_ are not competent to critique research!  (What research was there in a newspaper report?) What is important on any issue, is to remain open to what the research says, whether it supports our preconceptions or not.

Evidence-based practice isn't the short route or the easy route.  And yes, research changes.  But at least we have a growing body of quality research about breastfeeding and the normal development of mom, baby and the BF dyad. And it is our clients who will benefit in the short term, and society in the long term. 

Judith 

Judith A. Hayman, RN, BSc, BScN, IBCLC 
Public Health Nurse, Lactation Consultant 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2