Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:39:33 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Dear friends,
I have been thinking a lot about the Medela issue in the last few days. I am tending to the view that this Medela being or not being Code compliant may well be an issue of The USA being or not being Code compliant. I hear/read about Australia - no marketing for bottles and teats, and I known the European situation - no marketing either. Please do visit Medela Benelux (Belgium-Netherlands-Luxembourg) at <http://www.medela.nl/BENELUX/nl/breastfeeding/index.php?navid=11> and tell me where they are even mentioning teats. Even if you do not read Dutch, you can browse and look at pictures and search. Not even the ''accessories'' or the ''special equipment'' show normal teats nor are they discussed, let alone marketed. They don't even mention they have them.
Why would an international company work so differently in different area's of the world? Perhaps because they will get away with it in some places and others not? Or do some areas within the organisation not comply to company protocol? Because as far as I know (admitted, from a local Medela rep/IBCLC) Medela company protocol is that teats are not marketed seperately and especially not to the public.

It does make me feel sad that this issue seems to be dividing the lactation community into 2 camps and that one camp kind of demonises Medela and somehow giving the others the impression of not being a trustworthy professional anymore. 

Just for clearance: I do not work for Medela, nor do I sell or rent it's products or use them. I even do not specifically like Medela, I prefer Ameda pumps (which I don't sell nor rent either). But I do not think the pump companies are treated fair here in the last weeks. I really think our efforts, time and energy are better spent at the battle to real Code crackers, or even better in counseling breastfeeding or even breastmilkfeeding moms.

Warmly,

Gonneke, 
IBCLC, LLLL working as a very Code compliant LC in drowsy and cold southern Netherlands

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2