adiel fernandez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2013 01:53:56 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Hello ASTC,

I am researching the use of tangible user interfaces (TUIs) in informal science and was hoping to pick your collective brains on the matter. I am a graduate student at Parsons The New School for Design, studying Design and Technology with a focus on physical computing and tangibility. Naturally, having worked at the New York Hall of Science for several years prior to returning to school, my love for informal science education brought me back to you all for some wanted wisdom.

I am looking for good resources regarding the use of TUIs in museums/science and technology centers. Specifically, I am looking for exhibitions (or specific exhibits within them) that have users physically manipulate objects as a control interface for some interaction. Beyond run-of-the-mill, push buttons and switches, these innovative interactions would ideally engage users on a deeper tactile level, with users both inputting information to the system by manipulating objects and receiving information from it via tactile feedback. Again, this would be ideal, but any leads you have would be greatly appreciated! I have found a few papers from Tufts University on some TUIs at the Boston MOS, but would really love more.

Thanks in advance,

Adiel Fernandez
MFA Design and Technology
Parsons, The New School for Design

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2