Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2024 14:52:40 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Very interesting. Not being bracketeed, the original URL was broken but the tiny URL works fine.

I see that the petition has ten whole signees.

As with so many things we discuss here, there are some with strong fixed convictions entrenched positions on some subjects which cannot be shaken and there are others who are more open-minded and less inclined to impose their wishes on others.

AFB is one such subject.  As a former bee inspector and lifelong commercial beelkeer, I have been exposed to all sortss. 
 I started beekeeping with the fear of even one cell but progressed in understanding to where I actually intentionally bought infected hives for the discount and cleared them up.

I have been at meetings where people want to destroy other people's bees for mites or disease and have been attacked for taking the position that these issues can be usually be handled.  

Sometimes burning is the easiest and cheapest solution for AFB, but at other times, there are alternatives -- if the beekeeper involved will commit to them.  I've seen a 10,00 hive operation clear right up in a year with education and dedication after I observed a few cells here and ther throughout all the hives I inspected.  Some would have insisted on burning the whole outfit.

As for the case in the post, a lack of credentials is not necessarily a bad thing, but failure to advertise the position seems improper,.  10 years after the fact, though, is it grounds for resigning or dismissal?

Maybe the person in charge had fallen out of touch with the constituency.   Times change.

The Apiarist (which often incudes chief inspector position) has varying usefulness ranging from diplomatic, decorative, and ceremonial, to sherriff and enforcer.  

In some jurisdictions an enforcer is wanted, in others, an extension agent, observer and educator, in others, a mediator, in others, an inside man at the skonkworks we call govmint.

I have been involved in hiring and watched firing and all I can say is that in Alberta in my time we just wanted an experienced and respected retired beekeeper to go around, drink coffee, keep the peace, and give us a good slide show at the annual convention.  

He was expected to explain the industry to government favourably, protect our legislation and grants, and generally make sure we did not get surprises.  he did that well, but to some minor grunmbling from a few who wanted an enforcer, not an educator and diplomat.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2