Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2024 09:52:56 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Method Used in Colorado to Keep Hives Dry in Winter 

In Colorado during the past winter we needlessly lost hundreds of colonies of bees. Poor practices have been the cause. These losses obtain, no doubt, in other states as well where wintering is a problem. A letter on my desk states that the writer and a neighbor lost 25 and 40 per cent respectively of their bees from "freezing." While not wishing to east aspersions on the author, I am forced to disagree with him. 

We all agree that each colony should have a good queen, plenty of stores, a natural clustering-space, and some form of protection. While these contentions are true, they are only half of the story. With all of these conditions prevailing, probably one-half of our total losses result from other causes. Smothering is the chief cause of loss. Lack of ventilation is common among our bees in winter at low temperature. have all seen bees winter successfully in old boxes with great cracks and holes in the sides and top. Why do they winter so well this way? The important thing is that they do not smother. 

In our modern hives bees seal up the cracks, seal the top, and propolize all vents except the narrow entrance. During severe weather moisture condenses inside, runs down the inside of the hive and on the combs. When this moisture comes to the entrance and cold air it freezes and stops up the entrance. On more than one occasion I have heard bees during severe weather creating such an uproar as could be heard 15 feet from the hive. Investigation showed the entrance full of ice. The ice was not from snow, as no snow was on the ground. As soon as the ice was removed the bees became quiet. Colonies having ventilation were still, just a low murmur being audible. 

To provide ventilation at all times is simple. Bore an inch hole just below the hand hold in the second story. There are no valid objections to this procedure. The dean of Colorado beekeepers, Herman Rauchfuss, has used it for years and is probably the father of the idea, though my father used it for years, while I was ignorant of the purpose. This small hole provides upward ventilation and does no harm whatever. Probably we have not used this scheme because we have not seen our bees every day during the winter, and have not seen for ourselves why our bees have died. Upward ventilation is one of the first points of successful wintering in cold climates. The other considerations are old and accepted. 

We give the credit of the discovery and practice to Herman Rauchfuss, the most extensive operator of the scheme, to my knowledge. Even though our hives be sloped forward in the orthodox fashion, the entrances may still freeze. The condensation is not rapid and the moisture freezes and accumulates. In certain sections of America great trouble and loss are experienced from moldy combs in spring. The mold occurs in the lower hive-body if the bees are above. These combs are ruined by the accumulation of moisture and the following mold. Upward ventilation may cure this. I was informed once that a fortune awaits the beekeeper who could remove the moisture from the hives in Iowa in winter. 

Perhaps it could be ventilated out from the upper part of the hive. Upward ventilation is good practice in packed colonies as well. Tunnels may be constructed through the packing as outlined in the April issue of the American Honey Producer. — R. G. Richmond. Ft. Collins, Colo. GLEANINGS IN BEE CULTURE, October, 1927

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2