Russ Litsinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2024 22:21:39 +0000
Content-Type:
multipart/mixed
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (2149 bytes) , 1000003523.png (368 kB) , 1000003521.jpg (240 kB) , 1000003522.jpg (466 kB)
>What are the issues, and in what season(s) did they occur?

Some context might help at the outset. I am located in Western Kentucky where we average 4" of rain per month, with summers often hot and dry and winters cool and wet. Single digits F for a nighttime low is common for about two weeks in a span anywhere from Christmas to Valentine's Day and variability of over 50 degrees F in a 48 hour period happens more and more it seems

I run +/- 60 colonies which are predominantly Langstroth, but there are also a few Warres, some polys and new this season a couple of Apimayes (https://apimaye-usa.com/).

In the 3 years I've been employing the condensing concept, I have actually never had any issues whatsoever with the Langs regarding condensed moisture over the cluster with 1" of R-5 polystyrene over the top.

The only issue I have had actually occured last week with one of the Apimaye colonies when after a warm-up following a long cold spell I found wet bees crawling out of the entrance.

Upon inspection, I found significant condensation in the corners above the cluster and a large quantity of water in the bottom board tray (located below a plastic screened bottom). The cluster itself was dry however.

After pondering the situation awhile, I looked carefully at the bottom board and found there was water pooling on it in the areas not directly under the tray. Reaching for a level confirmed what I already knew- I had failed to pitch the colony forward and the wet bees were would be foragers taking an unwanted bath on their way out the door.

After adding some shims to the back and opening up the entrance a bit, no more wet bees. I've added a few pictures for a visual.

As one might expect, I see the most moisture accumulation in the trays at two seasonal points:

1. During significant brood rearing early in the season;

2. When there's a big flow on and the girls are working overtime to get it cured.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2