Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2024 19:24:22 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
I think it's a logical fallacy to suggest that anecdotal evidence is somehow intrinsically inferior to so-called scientific studies. Some anecdotes are BS; that doesn't mean they all are. Neither are all scientific studies worth their weight in gold, as we have often discussed. In fact, a lot them spent a ton of money to reach "inconclusive results." 

I am happy to go with the centuries of experience that seems to point to the value of an upper entrance. Skep hives were commonly made with them and Langstroth emphasized their value in his books in the 1880s. I have attached a photo of a hive which is badly frosted. Unfortunately the reproduction is not great but I think you'll get the picture.

By the way, it is definitely not dry here. The beeyards are frequently too muddy to access until June. Today we had thunderstorms and it's supposed to go back down below freezing this week, so everything tends towards damp. I opened all the hives here at my house and they were all dry as kindling wood inside. No sign of dampness or other problems.

PLB

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2