Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:20:02 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Lactnetters:
I saw a mother today who has 3 other children that she attempted to breastfeed.  A week ago she delivered a boy who she is  breastfeeding.  I met with her thinking that from her description I would only have to correct her latch and she would be on her way.  As far as I can tell she is doing it all correctly. She has not given any bottles. The baby is latching correctly and the baby feeds well and is happy at the breast.  He eats every 2-3 hours for 20 min. on each side.  But she says it hurts constantly.  She has read lots and spoken to alot of other moms and another lactation consultant with one of the other kids when the same thing occurred.(She quit after a week with the others. Due to the pain.)  She knows that it should hurt or be uncomfortable for the first few minutes and then the pain should calm down and be tolerable.  It's not happening with her that way and the whole time the baby is at the breast her toes are curled.  I had the baby suck on my finger, nothing seemed different or as though he was chewing on my finger. At the breast he looks as though he may be 'chomping' in the first suckles.
 We discussed  if her breasts were sensitive to sexual activity or with other touch and she described that sort of sensitivity.  Showering directly on her nipples is painful and rubbing up to something is uncomfortable.  She delivered the first three without meds or epidural.  She and her husband describe her as not being a 'woos'.  After meeting with her for an hour, I don't think so either.  She badly wants to breastfeed this infant but says that every time he wants to eat she cringes,  she longs for the night time feed where just she and her baby enjoy each other and cuddling, but it doesn't happen. She's desparate.  She's almost ready to throw it in.  Her husband is extemely supportive of whatever she wants.
I know this is long.  I can't think of any other remedies and thought maybe one of you creative, knowledgable, more experienced folks might have a suggestion.        Thanks in advance. 

Betsy Wells-Gephart RN, IBCLC
Tempe, AZ

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2