Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 22:10:08 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
My first paying mom didn't even give it 24 hours as my client before she decided that it would be better if they would feed the baby formula.  Her baby threw up some of the breastmilk after I left yesterday (probably the most he's eaten at one feeding).  She thinks there is something wrong with her breastmilk.  When I called her this morning, she wanted to know if she could have it tested and why was it yellow in color ?  (baby is 9 days old)  Nothing I could say would convince her she and her mild were normal, as she had already spoken with the doctor who decided (with her??) that it would be best if the baby just stayed on formula.  This is the same doctor who took the infant off breastmilk for 2 days because of jaundice. This is the most breastfeeding supportive doctor in our area.   Any ideas what kind of information I should send him with my report?  Hazards of infant formula and Dr. Jack's jaundice paper are two that come to mind.   

This poor mom's problems all started with mismanagement at the hospital.  The same hospital where I gave the nurses a free hour and a half inservice on breastfeeding only one month ago.

Our local support group refered her to an LC on day 4.  Why did she wait till day 8 to call.???  I certainly feel like a LAST RESORT LC tonight.  (Can't wait for the Florida resort!!!!!!)

Did she feel the need to be able to say "I even had a lactation consultant, but nothing helped."

Just felt that this story was sooooo relevant to all the discussion going on.  Can y'alll hear me screaming from here.   I'm trying , just have to get the rest of them to try some too.

I haven't lost my faith in that it will happen    and  I haven't lost my sense of humor.

See ya in Boca!!!

Sue Kappel, BS, IBCLC
All About Breastfeeding
Earleville, MD 21919

ATOM RSS1 RSS2