Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 00:40:00 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (2 lines)
The post on breast envy reminded me how at every class I get at least one (or more) questions/comments about "how soon can I pump or introduce a bottle" so that husband can feed the baby? Get calls sometimes 4 days post partum or less to get a pump so dad can feed baby. Had a mom I saw last week 1 day post partum in hospital, she mentioned that dad was a bit of a problem. He was telling her how to position baby/get baby to latch (did not attend the bf class though), pressured her to supplement as he did not think baby was getting enough (the nurse then brought in a feeding tube to "help", stating she had heard about this being done, thereby confirming dad's suspicion that baby was indeed not getting enough. Of course she didn't observe a feeding or help with any problems in positioning or latch). When I helped her with positioning and latch, baby had a nice long feed. I reassured her no supplement necessary. Baby did well after discharge. Called her 3 days later she was very upset with dad, who had gone out and bought a Gerber pump and wanted her to pump right away so he could feed the baby. Once again discussed risks of introducing bottle too soon and need to establish milk supply as well as meeting baby's need to be at breast.  Put it in terms of dad was trying to meet his own needs and not the baby's. she was nearly in tears over her husbands (controlling in my mind) behavior. We both jokingly agreed that unless he tied her down he could not force her to pump. I find this all very frustrating. I realize that feeding my babies was not something I wished to share or give up, nor do I think any other woman should( it is not called the Womanly Art for nothing). I try to be gentle in my approach on this matter, but know my feelings must be obvious. Any thoughts or suggestions on this welcome. Patty (who is thankful that pregnancy and childbirth can't be taken from women, at least not at this time!) [log in to unmask] 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2