Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 11:53:23 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (46 lines)
Here's the response I sent to NOW:

__

I am a feminist, a woman with a small home business, and a breastfeeding mother.  I would like to
once again congratulate NOW for leaving me and millions of women like me out of your "great plan for
an equal society."

Your press release of December 3, 1997 is the most ineffective, unpersuasive thing I have ever seen!
Why doesn't NOW criticize the AMA for recommending low fat diets?  Aren't overweight women going to
feel guilty if they can't or don't want to stick to a low fat diet?  Why don't you criticize the AAP
for their immunization schedule?  Won't women feel guilty of they can't or don't want to take the
time to take their babies to the doctor?  Why don't you criticize the seat belt laws and carseat
laws?  Won't women feel guilty if they can't or don't want to buckle up themselves or their kids?

NOW should encourage every woman to breastfeed.  It is the healthiest choice for baby, and the
healthiest choice for mother too.  From your press release, you apparently must be against preventing
breast cancer, ovarian cancer, and a whole horde of other diseases.

Is an infant's access to his mother's milk really about "choice" or is it about the infant's human
rights and civil rights?

With proper education, information, and support almost every woman is capable of breastfeeding.  Why
doesn't NOW encourage our society to give ALL women the support needed to breastfeed our children,
our future.  Don't we all want our daughters and our sons to have the best start possible?
Breastmilk isn't just species-specific, it is genetically specific!  Amanda's mother makes AMANDA'S
milk.  What could be more perfect than that?

Maybe when you make an effort to include ALL feminists - true feminists like myself who fight for
pregnancy, birth, and breastfeeding rights for all women - then just maybe I (and millions like me)
will FINALLY take NOW seriously.

Andrea Eastman, MA, CCE

--
Andrea Eastman, MA, CCE
Granville, Ohio
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Gentle Birth Alternatives
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/8978

ATOM RSS1 RSS2