Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 17:44:19 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Well, all, I have finally caught up on digests from July 14 through August 24.  What a wealth information, and how intersting to read the whole of several threads at once.  Most of my "would be " replies were given by other people -- another advantage to playing catch-up -- other people got to do the work...

Anyway, I would share the following out of my past:

I remember W-A-A-A-Y back when, I was having a discussion/disagreement  with a first year resident, and as part of validating my information I reeled off the definition of the disease process we were discussing --  the resident looked down his nose at me (and since he was shorter than I, that was a pretty good trick) and asked "Who gave you a medical dictionary for Christmas?"  

That was 20 years ago, and doctors and nurses communication and interaction has radically improved over time.  Unfortunately, there are still some doctors, residents and other people with the attitude that if your name doesn't carry MD after it, your information doesn't carry weight.  Fortunately, those "other people" are usually not our patients and clients.

Another time, also way back when, after a heated disagreement about the management of a labor, the doctor stomped off, and our aide, who had been there since the beginning of time, said in her St. Thomas accent, "Who do dat man t'ink he is?  For sure he is not God.  You can even be talking to God."

Finally, a joke I'm sure you have heard before, but, to make it short --
There is a long line of people waiting for admission through the Pearly Gates, and rudely a man pushes his way to the front.  He is dressed in scrubs and wearing a stethescope around his neck.  St. Peter lets him through.  There is a lot of grumbling from the line, and someone yells "Who does he think he is?  God?"   St. Peter sighs and says "He is God.  It's just that sometimes he likes to act like he's a doctor."

Love, y'all, Chanita, San Francisco

ATOM RSS1 RSS2